Helpful Video on Molecular Orbital Diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rachel Song 2A

Helpful Video on Molecular Orbital Diagram

Postby Rachel Song 2A » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Hello, here is a link to a very helpful and short video that I found on filling out an MO diagram.
I hope it's as useful for you guys as it was for me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT0Y0OKkzUM

Lucia Yang 3I

Re: Helpful Video on Molecular Orbital Diagram

Postby Lucia Yang 3I » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Rachel,
Thank you for posting this video! He explained everything so clearly, but I'm just sad that he didn't clarify the difference between MO diagrams where the nuclear charge is less than 8 (Z<8) and when it's greater than or equal to 8. I know our course reader mentions something about how in atoms with nuclear charges less than 8, the difference in charge between the filled s- and p-orbitals is smaller so the electron-to-electron repulsion leads to a higher energy sigma pz orbital. I'm still trying to find clarification for this, but I guess I have to do what the video suggests, and just accept it!

Daniella Ching 4C

Re: Helpful Video on Molecular Orbital Diagram

Postby Daniella Ching 4C » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:34 pm

That's pretty much the way I understand the difference in the MO diagrams. For Z<8, the s and p levels are very close together because there is less of an energy difference between the two levels. Because of this, there is a greater repulsion between the electrons in the sigma s and sigma pz bonds, so more energy is required to fill the sigma pz orbital.

Return to “*Molecular Orbital Theory (Bond Order, Diamagnetism, Paramagnetism)”