Formulas based on names

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emam Healy 2K

Formulas based on names

Postby Emam Healy 2K » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm

Hi! Will we be given the formula for molecules on exams or just the names? I don't remember all of the rules with oxides and how to write the formulas based on names and need to review.

Wasila Sun 1K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Formulas based on names

Postby Wasila Sun 1K » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:07 am

I think Dr. Lavelle mentioned in one of the lectures that all of the compound formulas necessary will be given to us on exams. I'm pretty sure we don't have to memorize anything, but don't quote me on that.

Emily Ding 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Emily Ding 1H » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 am

We haven't directly gone over nomenclature so some more difficult ones may be provided, but it'd probably be good to review basic nomenclature just in case! Some of the textbook questions require you to name compounds, so as long as you can do questions at the same level, you should be fine.

keely_bales_2a

Postby keely_bales_2a » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Professor Lavelle does go over a lot of high school chemistry, but he didn't go over nomenclature. He also said all necessary tools to solve a problem will be given to us on an exam. However, when doing examples in my discussion session with my TA, she says that a lot of molecular compound names should be in our knowledge book. I would definitely brush up your high school chem nomenclature just to be safe and sound!

Sondia Luong 3E

Postby Sondia Luong 3E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:52 pm

I asked my TA if we had to know nomenclature because some of the problems we had to do for fundamental review had us writing the formula of substances based on their names. He told us that we should know the basic ones, like how heptahydrate is 7 (hepta) water molecules (hydrate). I think as long as you know what the suffixes and prefixes mean, it should be okay:)

Francesca_Borchardt_2L

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:56 pm

I have wondered this as well. Many people have said you do not need to know. However, it is a good idea to memorize the basic ones.

Hope this helps!

Jared Limqueco 1H

Postby Jared Limqueco 1H » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm

Honestly I would memorize all the essentials because some questions on the textbook only give the nomenclature. Find a quizlet to save you stress in the future.

Nayra Gharpetian 2D

Postby Nayra Gharpetian 2D » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:58 pm

yeah I would say to just learn the rules for naming the really common formulas. that would really help you during exams and practice problems

Return to “Naming”