So lost on the naming

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Yuchien Ma 2L

So lost on the naming

Postby Yuchien Ma 2L » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I am completely confused about naming the coordinate compounds.
Do we need to know the latin names for all of the transition metals?
What is the order in which we put the different ligands before the ion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vincent Tse 2B
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: So lost on the naming

Postby Vincent Tse 2B » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "latin names" for the transition metals, but we are required to know how to name the ligands that bond with the central metal atom. You can review the table on page 117 for this.

In a sense, it's similar to naming anions (e.g. chlorine --> chloride) but--since we're dealing with TM complexes--the "-ide" ending will not be used. The root will be retained (e.g. chlor) and the ending "-o" will be added to the end.

Typically, the convention for TM complex nomenclature wants us to put the ligands in alphabetical order before the metal ion (and then the roman numeral).

Hopefully this cleared some things!

Crystal_Chung_1A

Postby Crystal_Chung_1A » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:03 am

My TA, Jackie, said we should know the common ones, such as ferrous for iron. I'm guessing the transition elements with Latin names as part of the symbol (eg. Iron's symbol is Fe, latin name is Fe) would be the "common" ones we should know.

Carolyn Huh 1K

Postby Carolyn Huh 1K » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Just in case, although we do not need to know the Latin names, I would remember the important ones, or the ones that are used most often. Otherwise, it will most likely be given.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 889 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:39 pm

The important information you get from the latin name is the oxidation state of the transition metal. If you feel comfortable determining the oxidation state of the metal, you shouldn't have to worry too much about the latin names.

Also, for naming the coordination compounds, it's crucial to be familiar with the list of ligands in the course reader. And, adding on to the naming format, when we order the ligands alphabetically, we do it based on only the name of the ligand, and not any prefix (di, tri, tetra, etc.) that might be before it.

Return to “Naming”