(en)2 naming

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Courtney_Koenig_3K

(en)2 naming

Postby Courtney_Koenig_3K » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:44 pm

In the 1st practice quiz for quiz 3 in the workbook, number 3 has (en)2 in the chemical formula. The answer gives it the name bisethylenediamine. Why is it named like this?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 428 times

Re: (en)2 naming

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:50 pm

en is the symbol for the ligand ethylenediamine. Ethylenediamine is a polydentate ligand, meaning it can bind at more than one site. For polydentate ligands, or ligands that already have a di-, tri-, tetra-, etc. prefix (ex. ethylenediamine) we use the prefixes bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, etc. Since it is (en)2 it would be named bisethylenediamine.

Nicole Gamboa 2M

Postby Nicole Gamboa 2M » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:14 am

Hi so I have a clarification question about the use of prefixes when naming. If the ligand in the coordinate compound has a prefix of -di, -tri, -tetra, etc. anywhere in its name, rather than just in the front, then you should use the prefixes of -bis, -tris, -tetrakis, etc? I know that you use the second set of prefixes in the example of diethylenetriamine, but I was wondering if you also would use them in the case of ethylenediamine and other ligands where there is a prefix in the middle of the compound.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 428 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes. If there is a prefix anywhere in the name of the compound use the second set. So if you had two ethylenediamine ligands in a complex you would name it bisethylenediamine.

Return to “Naming”