Right name for the complex ion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Serena Patel 2H

Right name for the complex ion

Postby Serena Patel 2H » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:38 pm

I just have a question on what would be the appropriate name for the complex ion [FeCl3(H20)3]. Would the name be triaquatrichloroferrate(III) or triaquatrichloroiron(III)? Would making iron (III) ferrate be the appropriate thing to do?

Monica Habashy 3A
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Right name for the complex ion

Postby Monica Habashy 3A » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Using ferrate is the correct way but my TA said that we wouldn't need to use the latin names on quizzes/exams.

Makenna Vulgas 1G

Re: Right name for the complex ion

Postby Makenna Vulgas 1G » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:13 am

Hi! [FeCl3(H20)3]- would be triaquatrichloroferrate(II) instead of roman numeral 3 due to the fact that there is an overall negative charge. Cl3 has a total charge of -3 so Fe should have a positive charge of 2 to create an overall negative charge on the complex. Since the complex is an anion, we do have to abide by the rule of latin names when it comes to the transition metal. The metals that have a latin name are iron(ferrate), copper(cuprate), tin(stannate), silver(argentate), lead(plumbate), and gold (aurate). My TA didn't say anything about whether or not we need to know these, but I feel like it would be wise to review them just in case. Better safe than sorry. Hope that helped a little!

Return to “Naming”