Trans and Cis

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dominique Zuk 1G

Trans and Cis

Postby Dominique Zuk 1G » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:39 pm

When naming compounds, how do I distinguish between using the prefixes "trans" and "cis"? When are they required, and when are they not?

Allison Suzuki 2B

Re: Trans and Cis

Postby Allison Suzuki 2B » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:04 am

Trans and cis molecules are isomers, meaning that they have the same molecular formula, and the basic difference between these molecules is the placement of its atoms. Also, trans molecules are non-polar while cis molecules are polar.

MichelleCarter_1F

Postby MichelleCarter_1F » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:34 pm

hey! I was also confused about cis and trans molecules awhile ago, and I think the image I attached helps prove the comment before mine. Cis and trans molecules are going to be really important as we advance in chemistry, since structure plays a huge role in function (as we've all heard multiple times before). Whenever I think of cis and trans molecules, I think of trans molecules alternating in the patterns of what's around the central atom (like the hydrogens in the butene molecule).
Attachments
Unknown.png
Unknown.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 860 times

Katherine_Zhuo_3B

Postby Katherine_Zhuo_3B » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:35 pm

An example would be the one we saw in class, where cis-diamminedichloroplatinum has the chlorides both on the left, whereas the trans-diamminedichloroplatinum has the chlorides located on opposite sides of each other.

Return to “Naming”