Naming Coordination Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sabrina Ryu 3L
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 am

Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Sabrina Ryu 3L » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Do we just have to memorize all of the common ligand names? Or will it be provided to us?

Vy Lu 2B
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Vy Lu 2B » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:45 pm

It will most likely be that we will have to familiarize ourselves with the common ligands and recognize them in the molecules; naming the coordination compounds will also require us to have knowledge of the naming rules taught in lecture.

Kyither Min 2K
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:15 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Kyither Min 2K » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:14 pm

I think we will have to know common ligands such as ammine, chloro, and cyano.

Simran Athwal-Dis 3A
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Simran Athwal-Dis 3A » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:47 pm

When does the roman numeral come into play, basically how do you determine what roman numeral to place on a compound?

Julia Lee
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:29 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Julia Lee » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Simran Athwal-Dis 3A wrote:When does the roman numeral come into play, basically how do you determine what roman numeral to place on a compound?


The roman numeral is used to state the oxidation state of the transition metal. It can be figured out by using all the other charges in the coordination compound since you know the total charge for a coordination compound has to be neutral (=0)

Madelyn Romberg 3L
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Madelyn Romberg 3L » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm

I believe we will need to be able to remember them; he stated during lecture that we can find the common ligands in the textbook, which makes it seem like we should be familiar with them.

mayra martinez 1D
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby mayra martinez 1D » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Adding on to the roman numeral question, the roman numeral indicates the charge of the transition metal cation and its used in situations where there are multiple oxidation states that the metal can form and so it helps distinguish the state of the metal. You can generally find it by looking at the coordination compound.

Karla_Ocampo 4E
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Karla_Ocampo 4E » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi! I dont think we need to memorize all of them but we do need to be familiar with the common ligands.

Simran Athwal-Dis 3A
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Simran Athwal-Dis 3A » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Chan Mee Lee wrote:The roman numeral is used to state the oxidation state of the transition metal. It can be figured out by using all the other charges in the coordination compound since you know the total charge for a coordination compound has to be neutral (=0)

Thank you so much!

Simran Athwal-Dis 3A
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:24 am

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Simran Athwal-Dis 3A » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:27 pm

mayra martinez 1D wrote:Adding on to the roman numeral question, the roman numeral indicates the charge of the transition metal cation and its used in situations where there are multiple oxidation states that the metal can form and so it helps distinguish the state of the metal. You can generally find it by looking at the coordination compound.

Thank you so much!


Return to “Naming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests