6th Edition Ch 17.5 #31 b and d

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

TiffanyL1G

6th Edition Ch 17.5 #31 b and d

Postby TiffanyL1G » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:37 pm

So for 31b the name is "pentaamminesulfatocobalt(III)" which the solution manual gives [Co(NH3)5(SO4)]Cl what happened to the 3? Does it go to Cobalt or Chloride? I had the same issue with part d which is "sodium bisoxalato(diaqua)ferrate(III)" and the solution manual gives Na[Fe(OH2)2(C2O4)2] what happened to the 3? Does it go to sodium or iron?

Also, what is the difference between an atom in the front and in the back of the name? For example, part (a) and (d) both have an atom before the rest of the name and part (b) and (c) have the atoms afterward. What does it mean?

Desiree1G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: 6th Edition Ch 17.5 #31 b and d

Postby Desiree1G » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Okay so the 3/III, as I learned, is the oxidation number, so basically for b) if you calculate the oxidation number NH3 and OH2 are neutral meaning they are 0 and add that to cobalt which was "unknown" it will equal 3 because your oxidation number is 3. Essentially, I would write it like this, x(Cobalt) +0(4 NH3) + 0(2 OH2)= 3 ----> x=3. Because the charge is 3 for the metal cobalt, we want it to cancel with Br so Br has a subscript of 3.

And for the second part of your question, we write it in the order given for the formula. So for a) potassium came first so it is written first and for c) it came after.

Return to “Naming”