Naming in alphabetical order?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angeline 3E

Naming in alphabetical order?

Postby Angeline 3E » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:20 pm

What does it exactly mean when you have to name the compound in alphabetical order? Thanks !!

JohnWalkiewicz2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Naming in alphabetical order?

Postby JohnWalkiewicz2J » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about naming coordination compounds? If so, when naming the ligands you usually name them in alphabetical order:
Ex: [Cr(Cl)2(NH3)4]+
Ligands: Chlorine, Ammonia
Naming: tetraammine-dichloridochromium(III) ion

Frederick Keith_4C

Postby Frederick Keith_4C » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:28 pm

The name of the compound is just written out with the substituents in alphabetical order followed by the base name.
Here are some examples:
1) 4-ethyl-2-methylhexane
(the e in ethyl comes before the m in methyl)
2) 2,3,5-trimethyl-4-propylheptane
(don't look at the number prefixes when naming. You look at the m in methyl and then the p in propyl)

Maddie Turk Disc 2J

Postby Maddie Turk Disc 2J » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:01 pm

So just to clarify, the alphabetical order is completely based off of the ligand name and not the greek prefix attached right?

manisha_joseph_1H

Postby manisha_joseph_1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:05 pm

For the naming of coordination compounds, you must list the ligand names in alphabetical order. When listing the names of the ligands in alphabetical order, the greek prefixes are not taken in to account. For instance, the name of the coordination compound [Co(NH3)5Cl] Cl.2H2O is pentaamminechlorocobalt(II) chloride dihydrate, with the names of the ligands in alphabetical order (ammine first, then chloro). Hope this helps!

Madilyn Schindler 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Madilyn Schindler 3E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:07 pm

Maddie Turk Disc 2C wrote:So just to clarify, the alphabetical order is completely based off of the ligand name and not the greek prefix attached right?

Yes, I believe the alphabetical order is based on the ligand name. The greek prefix can be attached after the ligands have already been put in alphabetical order when naming a coordination compound.

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi! Yes, the ligands are named in alphabetical order, which doesn't include the prefix but the actual ligand name.

Hannah Lechtzin 1K

Postby Hannah Lechtzin 1K » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:14 pm

As mentioned above, when naming coordination compounds you list the ligands in alphabetical order. One does not take the greek prefix into consideration when placing the ligands in alphabetical order though.

For example lets say you have [Co(NH3)4Cl2]

the ligands are NH3 (ammine) and Cl (chloro), so you would list them in that order (ammine, chloro)

then you'll add the prefixes, the transition metal, and the oxidation state to give you:

tetraamminedichlorocobalt(III)

AntonioZarich2E

Postby AntonioZarich2E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:15 pm

The ligands go in alphabetical order, but the prefixes do not determine the order, they just go in front of the ligands.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:26 pm

You name the ligands in alphabetical order. The prefixes are not taken into account when u order the ligands in alphabetical order. The ligand name is listed before the metal cation.

Chris_Butler_1A

Postby Chris_Butler_1A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:43 pm

Does the rule of naming in alphabetical order also apply to Anions? I know it was mentioned that in order it would go "Anion name" "(Greek prefix)" then "hydrate" but how would this work in an example with multiple anions as well as with the alphabetical order of the Ligands? Is this also where the suffix -o would be added to the end of the anion? I had a little difficulty with that aspect as well.

Return to “Naming”