Oxidation number

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rebecca Epner 4A

Oxidation number

Postby Rebecca Epner 4A » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:36 pm

Can someone simply explain how to calculate the oxidation number? I can't find a clear explanation in the book.

Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Oxidation number

Postby Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:50 pm

So when trying to find the oxidation number, the way the solutions manual did it was that they essentially did a find x problem. So for the complex they should give you the overall charge and by looking at the individual ligands we will know what charge they have. The book has a table that gives the charges for the ligands so that makes it easier for homework. Once you know the charge of the ligands you have to find the oxidation number. So for example. We have the metal and 6 ligands that have a -1 charge and the overall charge is -4. making it a find x problem we have

metal ligand overall charge
1(x) + 6(-1) = -4 so....
x+(-6)=-4 --> x=-4+6 --> x=2 making the oxidation number 2(II)

Hope this helps. You just have to pay attention to the overall charge and the charge of the ligands and figure it out from there.

Michelle N - 2C

Re: Oxidation number

Postby Michelle N - 2C » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:32 pm

My TA gave this formula, which I found to be very useful:

(# of metal atoms)(oxidation number) + Σ (# ligands)(charge of ligands) = charge of complex.

To find oxidation number, you make it a variable (x) and then solve for it. Hopefully that helps!

Return to “Naming”