Naming Coordinate Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ananta3G

Naming Coordinate Compounds

Postby Ananta3G » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi! I have tried reading the textbook and looking at my notes, and I am still a bit confused about how to name coordinate compounds. If someone could give me tips about how to go about it/the general strategy, that would be extremely helpful. Thank you! Hope everyone is having a wonderful break.

Victoria Li 1L

Re: Naming Coordinate Compounds

Postby Victoria Li 1L » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:00 pm

First, if you haven't memorized the ligand list Dr. Lavelle posted, do that! The ligand names are the basis of coordinate compound nomenclature, and you'll know they're ligands if they're inside the brackets. Second, I would re-familiarize myself with the prefixes (di-, tri-, tetra-, etc.).

Then, when you go to name a compound, identify the ligands and count them up if there are more than one (using the prefixes). List ligand names in alphabetical order (not including the prefix!!) and then put the transition metal name at the end along with their charge (e.g. if it's 2+ then put (II) ). If the whole compound is negatively charged, change the end of the metal name to its -ate form! Another thing to remember is that the cation goes first.

Hope this helped!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Naming Coordinate Compounds

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:01 pm

First identify the metal cation and the ligands/ number of each ligand. Determine the charge of the cation. Go in alphabetical order listing the ligands, remembering to give prefixes and make sure you account for each ligand.

Return to “Naming”