Naming for the final

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dakota Walker 1L

Naming for the final

Postby Dakota Walker 1L » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Can someone summarize the general rules for naming we will need for the final?
I don't understand what we do and don't have to memorize/know.

Aiden Metzner 2C

Re: Naming for the final

Postby Aiden Metzner 2C » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Some of the general rules for naming are as follows. Use the prefixes di, tri, tetra, penta, hexa, octa, if there are two or more of certain molecules. For ligands, name them in alphabetical order remembering to replace ammonia with ammine, or anything ending in ide with an o. Also cations go first and anions have -ate at the end of them.

EMurphy_2L

Postby EMurphy_2L » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:10 pm

check out page 723 of the textbook!! but

naming goes: [greek prefix; ligand name(s, in alphabetical order); transition metal cation; Roman numeral]

the brackets represent coordination sphere
the greek prefix (di, tri, tetra, penta) refers ti how many of the ligand there is
the ligands have the endings of -o (instead of -ide, -ate, or -ite, you have -ido, -ato, -ito)
the Roman numeral is the charge of the cation which you figure out from the charge of the ligands and total charge, cation charge is the difference (if this charge is negative, you put -ate at the end of the cation name!!)

J Medina 2I

Postby J Medina 2I » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:13 pm

Neutral ligands have the same name except for a few. Water turns to "aqua," ammonia turns to "ammine," and CO turns to "carbonyl." Ligands that are anions end with o.

Claire Stoecklein 1E

Postby Claire Stoecklein 1E » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:16 pm

I assume there are exceptions to the naming rules, but do we need to be aware of any of them?

ShreyaKannan1B

Postby ShreyaKannan1B » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:05 pm

EMurphy_1L wrote:check out page 723 of the textbook!! but

naming goes: [greek prefix; ligand name(s, in alphabetical order); transition metal cation; Roman numeral]

the brackets represent coordination sphere
the greek prefix (di, tri, tetra, penta) refers ti how many of the ligand there is
the ligands have the endings of -o (instead of -ide, -ate, or -ite, you have -ido, -ato, -ito)
the Roman numeral is the charge of the cation which you figure out from the charge of the ligands and total charge, cation charge is the difference (if this charge is negative, you put -ate at the end of the cation name!!)

Thanks!

curry 1E

Postby curry 1E » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:27 pm

This is all very helpful thank you so much

Return to “Naming”