sodium bisoxalato(diaqua)ferrate(III) (homework 9C.3D)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jocelyn Thorp 1A

sodium bisoxalato(diaqua)ferrate(III) (homework 9C.3D)

Postby Jocelyn Thorp 1A » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Hello, I'm having some trouble with coordination compounds, and so I have a few questions. For problem 9C.3D from the text it's asking to write the formula for sodium bisoxalato(diaqua)ferrate(III). I've been mostly able to do the previous parts of this problem, but I have a few questions regarding this one.

1. Why is it bisoxalato but diaqua? As in what's the difference and when would you use on over the other?
2. Why is bisoxalato written before diaqua? I thought that neutral atoms were supposed to be written before anions (from reading this forum).
3. Is there any preference for writing OH2 over H2O for aqua?

All in all I got Na[Fe(C2O4)2(OH2)2]. Is there anything incorrect in the ordering of that answer (if the answer is correct at all)??

Caitlyn Tran 2E

Re: sodium bisoxalato(diaqua)ferrate(III) (homework 9C.3D)

Postby Caitlyn Tran 2E » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:17 pm

1. You use bis, tris, or tetrakis instead of the usual prefixes when the ligand already has a Greek prefix or if it is polydentate. In this case, oxalate is bidentate, so it would be named bisoxalato.
2. Usually ligands are written in alphabetical order (excluding prefixes), but I'm not really sure why oxalato would be listed before aqua.
3. I don't think there is a preference between the two, but writing oxygen first simply emphasizes that oxygen is the atom that is binding to the metal ion.

Hope this helps!

ValerieChavarin 4F

Re: sodium bisoxalato(diaqua)ferrate(III) (homework 9C.3D)

Postby ValerieChavarin 4F » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:29 pm

3. I don't think there is a preference, but the textbook uses OH2 a lot, so i would stick with that format.

Return to “Naming”