Using bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, pentakis-

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lindsey Chheng 1E

Using bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, pentakis-

Postby Lindsey Chheng 1E » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Can someone give examples of how we would change the naming of a ligand that has di, tri, and tetra- or is a polydentate to its name that has bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, or pentakis-?

sarahforman_Dis2I

Re: Using bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, pentakis-

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Lindsey Chheng 1H wrote:Can someone give examples of how we would change the naming of a ligand that has di, tri, and tetra- or is a polydentate to its name that has bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, or pentakis-?

You would do this when the ligand is a polydentate. For example, Na3[Co(C2H4)3] would be named sodium tris(oxalato)cobalate(iii).

Since oxalato is a polydentate ligand, you need to use the prefex "tris" instead of "tri."

Another example without a polydentate ligand would be [Ni(NH3)3(Cl)3]. The name of this ion would be triamminetrichloronickle(iv).
Because ammine is NOT a polydentate ligand, you would use the prefex "tri" not "tris."

I hope that this helps!

sarahforman_Dis2I

Re: Using bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, pentakis-

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Lindsey Chheng 1H wrote:Can someone give examples of how we would change the naming of a ligand that has di, tri, and tetra- or is a polydentate to its name that has bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, or pentakis-?

You would do this when the ligand is a polydentate. For example, Na3[Co(C2H4)3] would be named sodium tris(oxalato)cobalate(iii).

Since oxalato is a polydentate ligand, you need to use the prefex "tris" instead of "tri."

Another example without a polydentate ligand would be [Ni(NH3)3(Cl)3]. The name of this ion would be triamminetrichloronickle(iv).
Because ammine is NOT a polydentate ligand, you would use the prefex "tri" not "tris."

I hope that this helps!

Return to “Naming”