Nomenclature

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A

Nomenclature

Postby Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:35 pm

In a UA session, and a homework problem, we had to write the chemical formula from the name. I don't remember going over this in class, but does anyone know if this will be on the exam, or if we will have to draw lewis structures based on the name of a chemical formula?

If so, does anyone have any tips/steps to write the chemical formula when given the name?

Thank you!

Crystal Yu 1D
Been upvoted: 12 times

Re: Nomenclature

Postby Crystal Yu 1D » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:41 pm

I don't think nomenclature will be tested on the exam, but Professor Lavelle may include the names of molecules on the exam. I recall in one of his lectures that he would generally include the chemical formula along with the name though. I still recommend knowing general nomenclature just because it's pretty useful if you plan on taking other chem classes! :)

To start, I think memorizing the polyatomic ions would be helpful, because those are the ones that you might have trouble with "translating" into a chemical formula when you are just given the molecule's name. Khan Academy has a pretty good video on naming molecules (it's really short too) and also a list of common polyatomic ions, so you should check it out if you have time! https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap- ... tomic-ions

Becca Nelson 3F

Postby Becca Nelson 3F » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:46 pm

While I am not exactly sure if naming polyatomic atoms will be on the exam, I expect that we should be able to take an ion name and transform that to a chemical formula. For example if they say Magnesium chloride, you should be able to know that is MgCl2.

John Calonia 1D

Postby John Calonia 1D » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:51 am

There is a very helpful section on nomenclature with a guide for naming different compounds in the textbook. I find that the steps outlined in the section were fairly effective when naming different compounds. There is a nomenclature question in sapling so I think it is important to have somewhat of a good grasp on what these names mean but not necessarily how to make the names.

Postby 605291562 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi! Like said above it is probably helpful to have a basic understanding of nomenclature, however I do not think this would be a topic of focus. I always go off of what Professor posts in his outlines for what is needed to know for exams and I do not recall seeing that on the list.

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Like mentioned before, I expect that we should be able to take ions from their verbally expressed name and transform that to a chemical formula, with balancing and such considered as well. I do not think it should be a major topic of focus since it is not on the list of topics on the outline but there was a sapling question if I do recall correctly.

Return to “Naming”