Textbook Problem 9C.3 Part D

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Pedersen 2K
Been upvoted: 9 times

Textbook Problem 9C.3 Part D

Postby Samantha Pedersen 2K » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:22 am

Problem 9C.3 Part D from the textbook asks us to write the formula for sodium bisoxalato(diaqua)ferrate (III). I have two questions about this. First, why is bisoxalato written before diaqua? This doesn't seem to follow the alphabetical rule.

Second, the textbook gives the answer as Na [Fe (OH2)2 (C2O4)2]. Why is (OH2)2 written before (C2O4)2? This doesn't seem to follow the alphabetical rule given in the textbook either.

Thank you!

Crystal Yu 1D
Been upvoted: 12 times

Re: Textbook Problem 9C.3 Part D

Postby Crystal Yu 1D » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:49 am

I think you are correct that it should be in alphabetical order, so maybe it is a solution manual error. BUT also note that in the textbook, it says that the rules given have been recently changed, so maybe that's why the solution manual and the textbook rules don't match? I think it shouldn't be too big of an issue though, because the book also says that older names are still widely in use. I hope this helps! :)

EnricoArambulo3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Textbook Problem 9C.3 Part D

Postby EnricoArambulo3H » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:32 pm

I was wondering the same thing until I watched today's lecture. When the ligands are named in alphabetical order, they are referring to the name of the ligand, not the formula. Since C2O4 is oxalate, and OH is hydroxide (hydroxide -> H and oxalate -> O), the hydroxide would come before the oxalate. I hope this helped!

Return to “Naming”