Naming Coordination Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emilie_Paltrinieri_1K

Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Emilie_Paltrinieri_1K » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:41 pm

Does anyone have any helpful tips for remembering the rules when naming coordination compounds?

Lucy Wang 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Lucy Wang 2J » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:47 pm

first you list the ligand names in alphabetical order with (Greek Prefix), then the transition metal cation name (Roman Numeral) and then if there are anions, then you put the anion name, with a Greek Prefix and then the hydrate

Will Skinner

Postby Will Skinner » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Pertaining to the part inside the brackets. Ligands are named in alphabetical order. Prefixes are added to the ligands. The transition metal is named last and it’s oxidation number (in Roman numerals) comes right after in parentheses. That part is all one word. Now we name the ion (if present) that is outside the brackets. The positive ions are to the left of the bracketed segment and the negative ones are to the right. The naming follows the same logic.

As far as remembering ligand names goes, I recommend memorizing them. Fortunately, you may already be familiar with some of them.

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi! I had some difficulty naming the coordination compounds but honestly, I've found that the best way to get better at naming is to do practice problems, and repeating the process allows you to memorize the steps a lot easier.

Ryan Agcaoili 2E

Postby Ryan Agcaoili 2E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Aside from the tips listed above, one tip that has helped me when naming coordination compounds is to write out the different parts of the ligands and cations in different segments because it helps me stay organized and makes the work less chaotic to work with.
Hope this helps!

AlbertGu_2C

Postby AlbertGu_2C » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:49 pm

As said above, I think the best way is to partition the ligands, transition metal, then the anion afterwards, and then arrange/add the extra parts afterwards.

Return to “Naming”