Naming on the Final

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Hu 3L

Naming on the Final

Postby Jessica Hu 3L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:16 pm

How much of naming compounds should we know for the final and how are you guys studying for that section? (i.e. do we need to memorize stuff)

Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B

Re: Naming on the Final

Postby Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 pm

My TA said that the final's questions will probably have more questions over the stuff we took more time to learn. For example, we took so much time on quantum so I would expect a huge portion of questions to be on that. We spent less than a week on Naming. However, it is still part of the final and an essential part of chemistry since we should be able to identify compounds. I think what I'm gonna try to do is whenever I see some compounds I'll then write down and figure out the name for it so that when I see it on the test I'll be like oh I know that one. I wouldn't be memorizing the names but just getting in the habit of applying the rules and identifying patterns.

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:43 pm

There won't be many questions on naming, so you should still study it but not as much as other things like the person below said.

Yeprem

Postby Yeprem » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:43 pm

The final is cumulative right?

Ivan Chen 2H

Postby Ivan Chen 2H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Since the final questions will be from the textbook, and there are only 5 questions assigned for Naming, I assume that there won't be too many questions compared to the others. I still it would be important to remember the names of common ligands and prefixes, as well as the order you arrange them in.

Return to “Naming”