Complex Name for [Fe(CN)6]4-

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SophiaNguyen_2L

Complex Name for [Fe(CN)6]4-

Postby SophiaNguyen_2L » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:33 am

Hello! Toolbox 9C.1 in the textbook says this complex is called hexacyanidoferrate(II). However, the textbook also had this complex in a problem and its answer key says it's called hexacyanoferrate(II). The difference is just the "-ido" after the cyano. Which name is correct? And could someone please explain when I need to add the "ido," "ado," and "ito" to the name? Thank you!

Vivian Chang 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Complex Name for [Fe(CN)6]4-

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:44 am

Hi! Dr. Lavelle mentioned in lecture that both the -ido and -o are the same thing, except -ido is a newer notation and -o is the one we will mainly use in this course. So technically, both hexacyanoferrate(II) and hexacyanidoferrate(II) are correct.

If the ligand ends with -ide, you change the ending to -ido (i.e. chloride to chlorido). If it ends with -ate, you change it to -ato (i.e. sulfate to sulfato). If it ends with -ite, you change it to -ito (nitrite to nitrito).

Rachel Jiang 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Rachel Jiang 3H » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:46 am

Hi! I think Dr. Lavelle mentioned in one of his lectures that chemists usually use '-o' after the ligand but the textbook sometimes uses a new way of naming coordination compound which uses '-ido' after the ligand. Therefore, I believe that hexacyanoferrate(II) and hexacyanidoferrate(II) are the same thing and Dr. Lavelle said that it's fine to use either way but hexacyanoferrate(II) is more common. Hope this helps!

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:23 am

Vivian Chang 2H wrote:Hi! Dr. Lavelle mentioned in lecture that both the -ido and -o are the same thing, except -ido is a newer notation and -o is the one we will mainly use in this course. So technically, both hexacyanoferrate(II) and hexacyanidoferrate(II) are correct.

If the ligand ends with -ide, you change the ending to -ido (i.e. chloride to chlorido). If it ends with -ate, you change it to -ato (i.e. sulfate to sulfato). If it ends with -ite, you change it to -ito (nitrite to nitrito).

Thank you! This was a helpful explanation

Return to “Naming”