Determining charge when naming formulas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

IsabelMurillo3K

Determining charge when naming formulas

Postby IsabelMurillo3K » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:26 am

Hey guys!
When we are naming compounds, sometimes there are elements in the compound that have a charge like +2 or -1, and I was wondering what we would do in those situations? How would I incorporate the charge into my final answer when writing the name of the compound? Thanks in advance!

Jaclyn Schwartz 1I

Re: Determining charge when naming formulas

Postby Jaclyn Schwartz 1I » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:57 am

So the charge doesn't really have a name when naming compounds. However, it determines how many of each molecule there is. Like Na+ and Cl-, it going to have a 1 to 1 ratio to create NaCl. However Mg2+ and Cl-, would have MgCl2 (two chlorides). So that is how the charges can sometime come into play. I hope that helps! Let me know if you need more clarification.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:21 pm

On this same note, the general assumption when dealing with anions forming part of a coordination compound is that they are in their most common oxidation state, which can typically be determined by examining their placement in the periodic table. Chlorine and Fluorine for instance form a -1 anion, while oxygen forms a -2 anion. So, the metal cation at the center of the compound must have a positive charge to counteract the sum negative charge of the anionic ligands, which is reflected in the name after the metal in roman numerals.

Katherine_Douglas_1F

Postby Katherine_Douglas_1F » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:38 am

If a coordination compound has a charge, that charge is not included in the actual name. This is an important thing to remember when you are asked to write the formula for a coordination compound after being given the name. You have to make sure to count the charges to determine if the compound as a whole will have a charge or not. Remember that most metals are positively charged and most non-metals are negatively charged. There are also neutral ligands (like NH3 and H2O)

Return to “Naming”