Naming Coordination Complexes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aimee Alvarado 3J

Naming Coordination Complexes

Postby Aimee Alvarado 3J » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:57 pm

Is there an easier way to name coordination complexes? Any tips or advice on learning the list?

Jonathan Banh 1G

Re: Naming Coordination Complexes

Postby Jonathan Banh 1G » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 am

There is no "easy way" of naming coordination complexes per se. I think as you continue to practice naming example coordination complexes, the easier it will get. A large part of naming them is to remember the common ligands from the chart on Professor Lavelle's website. The more effort you put into memorizing them, the easier the process will become. There is not really a way around it in terms of tricks, at least in my experience. Another tricky thing not to get confused on is to remember to use the proper prefixes in terms of counting the ligands, i.e. if it is polydentate use bis-, tris-, and tetrakis- and not di-, tri-, tetra-, etc. Also remember when to use the English vs. Latin name of metals, where when the metal is part of a cation, the typical English name is used, however, when it is part of an anion, its Latin name is used in conjunction with the suffix -ate. Lastly, remember to keep track of the charges both within the coordination compound and other cations/anions which may be present.

CesarLec1

Postby CesarLec1 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:19 am

By breaking down whats in the coordination sphere and seeing what goes where is a good start. First look whats in the brackets and name appropriately and treat it as its own separate thing, then name the rest like usual. Breaking it into small pieces can help form the larger picture.

Adam_ElSayed_3B

Postby Adam_ElSayed_3B » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:34 am

I start grouping things into my head, and making mental connections. E.g. this one ligand corresponds to this name, and then coming up with a quirky way or connection to it. I've caught myself singing to memorize before. It's hard though, best of luck.

Nicole Bruno Dis 1B

Postby Nicole Bruno Dis 1B » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 am

This site really helps me in determining how to name coordination complexes: https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... _Chemistry)/Coordination_Chemistry/Structure_and_Nomenclature_of_Coordination_Compounds/Nomenclature_of_Coordination_Complexes. Hope it helps!

Return to “Naming”