Naming based on charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jiane_Beach_1D

Naming based on charge

Postby Jiane_Beach_1D » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:13 pm

Hey! I was looking over the notes and I was confused on naming, especially when the coordination compound has a negative charge. I noticed some names end in -ide like chloride for example, while others end in -ate like chlorate. Does anyone know why?

Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Naming based on charge

Postby 805757847 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:19 pm

I have the same question
Currently what I understand is that if the coordinating compound has negative charge, the compound name ends with "ate." In other words, the name of cation should be modified to end with "ate."

Jasmine Reblando 3A

Postby Jasmine Reblando 3A » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:20 pm

-ide is used for non-metal compounds generally. For example, Chlorine forms a chloride ion, so NaCl is Sodium Chloride. -ate and -ite are commonly used for polyatomic ions of Oxygen. -ate is used for the ion that has the largest number of Oxygen atoms. The -ite would be used for the ion with the smaller.

Ex. Chloride and chlorate are chlorine-containing anions. They carry a negative electrical charge. The chloride ion is given as Cl– and the chlorate ion is given as ClO3–. Both are able to undergo oxidation reactions because they can be further oxidized. The main difference between chlorine and chlorate is that chloride cannot undergo reduction reactions whereas chlorate easily undergoes reduction reactions.

N Kanuri 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby N Kanuri 2E » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi! Here are the rules I found in the textbook:

Anionic ligands end in -o
For anions that end in -ide (e.x. chloride): -ide --> -ido
For anions that end in -ate (e.x. sulfate): -ate --> -ato
For anions that end in -ite (e.x. nitrite): -ite --> -ito

If the complex has an overall negative charge (called an anionic complex), add the suffix -ate to the stem of the metal's name.
e.x. [Fe(CN)6]4- --> hexacyanoferrate(II) ion
[Ni(CN)6]2- --> tetracyanonickelate(II) ion

I hope this was helpful!

Shay Crookall 2L

Postby Shay Crookall 2L » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:23 pm

The replies to this are super helpful. Thank you for asking this question + to those of you that responded!

Gabriel Wolf 3I

Postby Gabriel Wolf 3I » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:42 pm

Personally, this website was extremely helpful in my understanding. It has a lot of the specific ligands that we went over in class, and has some good examples.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Inorganic_Chemistry/Supplemental_Modules_and_Websites_(Inorganic_Chemistry)/Coordination_Chemistry/Structure_and_Nomenclature_of_Coordination_Compounds/Nomenclature_of_Coordination_Complexes

Return to “Naming”