-o vs -ido in anions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily Ngo 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

-o vs -ido in anions

Postby Emily Ngo 1E » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:21 pm

Hi,
How do we know when to use the suffix -ido or just -o when naming coordination compounds? In the lecture notes, Dr. Lavelle stated that we add o to the end of an anion name when naming a coordination compound. Therefore, chloride would become chloro. However, in the textbook, it says that we should add -ido to the end of anions. Therefore, chloride would become chlorido.

zackdouchy

Re: -o vs -ido in anions

Postby zackdouchy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:36 pm

Hi! You're correct about the naming of the chloride ion, it should be chloro. The general rule for anions is to add an o to the end. For example, -ate anions are named as -ato, -ite anions are named as -ito, and -ide anions are named as -o. I hope this helps!

Jose Angelo Grajeda 2D

Postby Jose Angelo Grajeda 2D » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 pm

Hello! If you look at the PDF link for "Naming Coordination Compounds," it looks like there are two ways to write these anion endings, but both will be accepted! In the link, the "-o" ending seems to be the main naming trick we use, however, the "-ido" is part of the New IUPAC Name Convention. We use the method with just adding an "-o" at the end, but perhaps the textbook uses the "-ido." However, both are correct I think! Hope this helps.

Link: https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... pounds.pdf

Divya Mehta 2K

Postby Divya Mehta 2K » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Hi! I believe the rule for anions like the other responses say, it to add o at the end. -ite anions are called -ito. -ide anions are called -o

Postby 205686400 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:32 pm

Hi! There actually is no difference between the suffixes -o and -ido. The only thing is that the new IUPAC decided to change the old -o suffice to the newer -ido suffix, but they still have the same meaning.

Return to “Naming”