coordination compound vs complex

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EvaHeinrichs3C

coordination compound vs complex

Postby EvaHeinrichs3C » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:21 pm

a coordination compound and a coordination complex are the same thing, right?

EvaHeinrichs3C

Re: coordination compound vs complex

Postby EvaHeinrichs3C » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:26 pm

Additionally, do we need to memorize coordination compound names? Or ligand names? (for the final)

Vivek Chotai 2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vivek Chotai 2C » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:38 pm

I am pretty sure they are the same. Either way, the ligand acts as the lewis base and the metal acts as the lewis acid. I'm not sure if we need to memorize the name of the ligands, but we probably do need to know how to name the entire coordination complex.

Iman Gauhar 3E

Postby Iman Gauhar 3E » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi! A complex is a species consisting of a central metal atom or ion to which a number of molecules or ions are attached by coordinate covalent bonds. A coordination compound is simply an electrically neutral compound in which at least one of the ions present is a complex. I don't think we have to memorize the names of any coordination compounds, but I think we do have to be familiar with the rules for how a coordination compound is named. We do have to memorize a list of ligands for the final. I put the link below!

https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... pounds.pdf

Ella_hou

Postby Ella_hou » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:27 pm

coordination compounds are different from complexes because complexes are charged and consist of metal ions, surrounded by ligands.
this is different from coordination compounds because coordination compounds are neutral compounds (often containing a transition metal) and consist of complex ions.
in short complexes are found in coordination compounds.

indigoaustin 3H

Postby indigoaustin 3H » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:15 pm

To add on, the coordination complex is the part of the formula in brackets, while the coordination compound is the entire formula including the neutralizing cation/anion.

Return to “Naming”