Coordination Compound Naming

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ivy Nguyen 3I

Coordination Compound Naming

Postby Ivy Nguyen 3I » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:19 am

I was wondering if the ligands being in alphabetical order in naming coordination compounds meant that the actual ligand names would be in alphabetical order or if it meant that the prefix attached to the ligand name would be in alphabetical order? For example, aqua would come before bromido but if it were monoaqua and dibromido, which one would come first in naming?

Hayley Vu

Re: Coordination Compound Naming

Postby Hayley Vu » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:49 am

Alphabetical order is based entirely on the name of the ligand itself. We disregard the greek prefix when alphabetizing, so monoaqua would go before dibromide. Hope this helps!

AJackman

Postby AJackman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:46 pm

It's specifically the actual names of the ligands, NOT the prefix. So in your example monoaqua would come first.

Sophia Dominguez 3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sophia Dominguez 3I » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:55 pm

The greek prefix would not be taken into account when putting the ligands in alphabetical order. In the example above, aqua would come before bromido because we are not taking the greek prefix, only the specific name of the ligand itself.

Celine Khuu 2F

Postby Celine Khuu 2F » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:51 pm

The actual ligand names would be in alphabetical order. So in your example, it would be monoaqua dibromido.

Return to “Naming”