Order of cation vs anion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

DArcy Perlman 1C

Order of cation vs anion

Postby DArcy Perlman 1C » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:22 pm

In lecture, Dr. Lavelle stated "TM cation name (oxidation state) before anion name", I am confused by what this means as in most examples it appears as though the oxidation state is the last part of the name of the compound in the coordination sphere, and then whatever is outside the coordination sphere follows. So does the anion name mean the anion outside of the coordination sphere that makes the compound neutral? Could someone give an example with their explanation of what this means.

Alexandra Gill

Re: Order of cation vs anion

Postby Alexandra Gill » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:15 pm

I believe the anion is what is outside of the coordination sphere. For the example in the textbook 9C 3b tetraamminediaquacobalt(III) bromide, the bromide is the anion that neutralizes the +3 tetra ammine diaqua cobalt (III).

Shreya Arcot 3K

Postby Shreya Arcot 3K » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:02 am

Yes, the anion is outside of the coordination sphere. In this coordination compound, [Pt(OH2)2Cl2]I2, the iodide outside of the bracket is the anion. When naming, it will be after the "TM (oxidation number)". So, the name for this coordination compound is: diaquadichlororplatinum(IV)iodide.

Claudia Longo 2J

Postby Claudia Longo 2J » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:29 pm

DArcy Perlman 1C wrote:In lecture, Dr. Lavelle stated "TM cation name (oxidation state) before anion name", I am confused by what this means as in most examples it appears as though the oxidation state is the last part of the name of the compound in the coordination sphere, and then whatever is outside the coordination sphere follows. So does the anion name mean the anion outside of the coordination sphere that makes the compound neutral? Could someone give an example with their explanation of what this means.

Dr. Lavelle was likely referring to the fact that full cations are named before anions. When cations are named from the transition metals part of the periodic table, roman numerals are used to denote the positive charge. Metals outside the transition metals section of the periodic table may also require roman numerals in the name too. An example would look something like Aluminum (III) Chloride.

Return to “Naming”