Order for Naming

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alexis Shen 2G

Order for Naming

Postby Alexis Shen 2G » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a bit confused on what the order for the different components of the complex should be? For example, do we write cations or anions first? I was using this website: http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/ ... _comp.html but it was a little confusing so I'd appreciate any help.

Rio Gagnon 1G

Re: Order for Naming

Postby Rio Gagnon 1G » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:53 pm

The cation always goes first, before the anion. When naming the complex ion (stuff within the brackets), name each ligand in alphabetical order and add the greek prefix corresponding to the number of each ligand present. Then name the metal atom, with its oxidation number in parentheses.

Lauren Brotman 2F

Postby Lauren Brotman 2F » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Always write cations first. For naming the complex in the bracket, start with the ligands then do the transition metal. The ligands should be in alphabetical order and include the correct prefixes. There is also a section in the textbook, 9C.1, which goes through naming and might be less confusing.

Shannon Clark 1F

Postby Shannon Clark 1F » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm

Cations always come first. With coordination complexes, ligands will be named in alphabetical order with the transition metal coming last and then whatever is outside of the brackets.

Raizel Ferrer 1H

Postby Raizel Ferrer 1H » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:42 am

When naming complexes, you name the ligands in alphabetical order. Then, you name ligands before transition metals which are CATIONS. You would then pick the prefix whether it pertains to ligand or polydentate ligands. If the complex is negative, then you put a suffix -ate after transition metals which are ANIONS.

Shriya_Amara_1G

Postby Shriya_Amara_1G » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:29 am

The ligands are named alphabetically and before the transition metal cation. Then we would add the greek prefix in front of the ligand. If the complex has a negative charge, you add -ate to the end of the transition metal anion.

Ellen Brock 2I

Postby Ellen Brock 2I » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:32 am

We will always write the cation first. The textbook does a good job at explaining the order of naming along with prefixes and how to know where to set things so I would check that out if there is further confusion

Return to “Naming”