Order of Coordination Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vanessa_Ong_3F

Order of Coordination Compounds

Postby Vanessa_Ong_3F » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:04 pm

Does the order of a coordination compound matter? For example, would Fe[Na(C2O4)2(H2O)2] be the same thing as Fe[Na(H2O)2(C2O4)2]?

annemarielawrence

Re: Order of Coordination Compounds

Postby annemarielawrence » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:31 pm

While they are technically the same, you should always consider the ligand names in alphabetical order, as well as consider their charges when determining the order of a coordination compound. That is what Lavelle said to do in lecture, so I believe the correct answer would be Fe[Na(C2O4)2(H2O)2].

Nathan Morgan 2C

Postby Nathan Morgan 2C » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Does it necessarily matter when we are writing out the compound though? Like should we also look to put it in alphabetical order when writing out a compound? Or should we only do it when we are writing out the full name of the compound, not just the symbols?

Chloe Borja 2D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Chloe Borja 2D » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:41 pm

I don't think it matters when you're writing out the formula, so long as the transition metal is written first, as seen in both versions. There's a part in the textbook that says to write the chemical symbols out alphabetically though (not the ligand names; e.g. Cl is before OH2 alphabetically), so maybe that's the default?

Also, I think the Na is actually the element outside of the coordination sphere, while Fe is inside the brackets. I think you have it flipped. Hope this helped!

Return to “Naming”