Definition of a Ligand  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

jonathanshi_1A

Definition of a Ligand

Postby jonathanshi_1A » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm a bit confused on what a ligand is. In the diagram that Dr. Lavelle drew in class, there was 2 chlorine and 4 water molecules bound to a nickel atom. Are the water molecules also considered ligands, as they are an electron donor?

In addition, regarding ligand bonding sites, does the naming of "tridentate" mean that it has three potential binding sites, or that one type of molecule bonds at three sites?

Anwar Harb 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Definition of a Ligand

Postby Anwar Harb 3H » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Water is considered a ligand; most refer to it as a simple ligand along with chloride and ammonia.
Tridentate ligands have three donor atoms which allow them to bind to a central metal atom or ion at three points.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 429 times

Re: Definition of a Ligand  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:56 pm

As I discussed in class any electron rich species interacting with a transition metal cation is a ligand.
Yes ligands provide both electrons to form a coordinate covalent bond (as discussed in class and in my lecture notes in the course reader).

Ask me in Monday's class if this is not clear.

Megan M 1L

Re: Definition of a Ligand

Postby Megan M 1L » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:54 pm

I was unable to make it to lecture on Friday due to an illness so I will probably be in office hours this week. I do not understand ligands. How is it able to donate both electrons without making an expanded octet? Or am I missing something major about how it bonds?

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”