Coordinate Number

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rebecca_Arnold_3I

Coordinate Number

Postby Rebecca_Arnold_3I » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:11 am

When a ligand is a compound, is the coordination number affected by the number of bonds in this compound, or does the coordination number only apply to the bonds that are directly bonded to the central atom? Thank you!

Manpreet Singh 1N
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Coordinate Number

Postby Manpreet Singh 1N » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Hello,

The coordination number helps you find out how many ligands are connected to the central atom and helps you determine the overall shape of the specific complex. So in other words, it helps you find how many donor atoms there are. So to answer your question, yes the coordination number is affected by the number of bonds only attached to the central atom because when there is more ligands attached to the central atom, the coordination number will be larger.

this website helped me understand it a little more

https://www.boundless.com/chemistry/tex ... -611-3696/

Hope that helps :)

Maddy_Larson_2J

Postby Maddy_Larson_2J » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:19 am

hello,
I am also a bit confused on coordination numbers too. Just to clarify, if we had the compound [Co(NH3)5Cl]Cl then the coordination number would be 6 since there are 6 donor atoms sticking to the cobalt?

Catherine Trinh 3K

Postby Catherine Trinh 3K » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Hello,

Since the number of bonds determines the coordination number, does it matter if there are double bonds or lone electron pairs on the central atom? Do those affect the coordination number at all?

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”