Ligands and Coordination Numbers

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alejandra_Vasquez_1B

Ligands and Coordination Numbers

Postby Alejandra_Vasquez_1B » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 am

How do I know many bonds each ligand can make? Or how can I determine which ligands can make more than one bond? I don't exactly remember what was said in lecture about the ligands that had an asterisk next to them in the course reader.

Khang_Tran_1O
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Ligands and Coordination Numbers

Postby Khang_Tran_1O » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi,

Yes! You need to know how many bonds each ligand can make so that you can find out the coordination number. In the course reader, the ones with an asterisk next to them are polydentates, meaning that they can make 2 or more bonds; you just have to memorize which makes how many. For example, for ethylenediamine, there are two bonds because the 2 N's in the formula can bond to a transition metal. For diethlynediamine, there are three bonds. For EDTA, there are 4. For the rest with an asterisk, there are 2 bonds that they can make.

Jazmin_Morales_3J

Re: Ligands and Coordination Numbers

Postby Jazmin_Morales_3J » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi, I had a question that I thought would be relevant to this topic. I was simply wondering whether or not elements that are not contained within the brackets or are directly bonded to the transition metal (like ligands) could also be factored into the coordination number? Thanks!

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”