coordination number vs. oxidation number  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

annie_finneran_1K

coordination number vs. oxidation number

Postby annie_finneran_1K » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:54 am

what is the difference between these 2 and how do we find them for coordination compounds?

ErinKim1I

Re: coordination number vs. oxidation number

Postby ErinKim1I » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:33 am

I think coordination number is the number of immediate atoms surrounding a central atom whereas oxidation number is the number assigned to an atom to represent the # of electrons lost or gained

Jesus A Cuevas - 1E

Postby Jesus A Cuevas - 1E » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:56 am

From what I have read, the coordination number of an atom is the total number of ligands that are attached to the central ion, so I would assume you find the coordination number by counting the number of bonds on the central ion. And, the oxidation number is the total number of (e-)s required for the atom to achieve a full octet.

Nimrat Brar 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: coordination number vs. oxidation number  [ENDORSED]

Postby Nimrat Brar 1E » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 am

This oxidation number is an indicator of the degree of oxidation (loss of electrons) of an atom in a chemical compound while the coordination number is the number of atoms or ions immediately surrounding a central atom in a complex or crystal.

madisonhanson1b

Postby madisonhanson1b » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 am

Oxidation number is how many electrons an atom will lose during bonding and the coordination number refers to the number of regions of electron density surrounding the central atom in a compound.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”