Chelate

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sofia Ban

Chelate

Postby Sofia Ban » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:24 pm

When a ligand binds at 1 site, it is monodentate, 2 sites it is bidentate, etc, but what is a chelate and how does it differ from the other ligands? What is its significance?

Jamie Hsu

Re: Chelate

Postby Jamie Hsu » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm

According to the book definition, a chelate is a complex containing one or more ligands that form a ring of atoms that includes the central metal atom.

Ramsha Dis1B

Postby Ramsha Dis1B » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Also, I read somewhere that if a coordination compound contains at least one non-monodentate ligand, its considered a chelates. So I guess in a way its any coordination compound with a ligand, I think. And it also says that chelates are typically organic and an example of a chelate is the porphyrin ring and iron in hemoglobin.

Emilee Hosking 1D

Postby Emilee Hosking 1D » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:58 pm

In lecture, Professor Lavelle gave an example of a chelate that had only sigma bongs and could rotate, do all chelates only have sigma bonds?

joanneyseung22

Postby joanneyseung22 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Would anyone be able to explain the relationship between a polydentate and a chelate? The textbook says that "polydentate ligands can form chelates" but I'm not very clear on what that means.

Emilee Hosking 1D

Postby Emilee Hosking 1D » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:14 pm

joanneyseung22 wrote:Would anyone be able to explain the relationship between a polydentate and a chelate? The textbook says that "polydentate ligands can form chelates" but I'm not very clear on what that means.

This is what I found about chelates and polydentates on another post:
"Polydentate refers to a ligand that can bind the same transition metal more than once. Chelate refers to a ring like structure involving a transition metal and a ligand. These ring like structures usually result from a polydentate ligand binding the same transition metal. When EDTA is binding to a metal, the complex will be an example of chelate."

Saman Andalib 1H

Postby Saman Andalib 1H » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:50 pm

A chelate is formed when there are multiple polydentate anions bonding to a transition metal in a ring formation around it. Chelates are formed by polydentates, but not all polydentates contribute to the formation of chelates.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”