Charges

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maggie Doan 1I

Charges

Postby Maggie Doan 1I » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 pm

How do you find the charges of each of the elements with the complexes?

Ashley Zhu 1A

Re: Charges

Postby Ashley Zhu 1A » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:21 pm

You know that molecules like ammonia (NH3) have a zero charge and compounds like cyanide (CN-) have charges on them. Add the charge of the compound/molecule to the oxidation state of the anion (i.e. -1 for Cl). Then, you look at the overall charge of the coordinate compound to figure out the oxidation state of the metal. For example, if the sum of the molecule and anion charges is -2 and the overall charge on the coordination compound is 0, then the metal has a charge of +2.

Jack Mitchell 3J

Postby Jack Mitchell 3J » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:43 pm

You just have to memorize the charges for most common ligands. then take the charge of the ligands and subtract the total chrge of the ligands to find the charge of the central atom.

michelle

Postby michelle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:50 pm

You can usually know the overall charge of the complex from the question. Utilize your knowledge for the charges of the most common ligands to calculate the ones unknown.(usually only one)

mayra martinez 1D

Postby mayra martinez 1D » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:34 pm

There are also tables you can look at online that can give you a general idea of what to expect the charges of the elements to be. For example, you can look at trends in ionic charge and it shows that for elements in the left side of the periodic table charges will be positive and for the right side charges are mostly negative and that in transition metals it can vary.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”