Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kimberly 1H
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am
Been upvoted: 1 time


Postby Kimberly 1H » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Is the term "chelating agent" only used to refer to chelates that remove metal ions out of solutions?

Manya Bali 4E
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Terminology

Postby Manya Bali 4E » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:23 pm

I believe so. Metal (specifically transition metal) atoms are able to form the complexes in coordination compounds with chelating agents and others because of their extra d orbitals which allow them to form more bonds. I don't think it would be very common, if at all, for other ions to do this.

Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:19 am

Re: Terminology

Postby MaggieMatern_Dis1H » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 pm

chelating agents remove metal cations, but are characterized by the RING that they form around these cations, which serves to "trap" them.


Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest