Oxidation state  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

keyaluo4C

Oxidation state

Postby keyaluo4C » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 am

(From UA Lyndon Bui's Review)

Why is the oxidation state of the iron 2+? Shouldn't it be 4+?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Re: Oxidation state  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:21 am

You can't tell the charge of a metal atom by looking at the number of coordinations. You have to look at the overall charge of the coordination compound. This coordination compound, based on the way it is written, must have a +2 charge. However, on an exam, this would be more clear.

Jeril Joseph 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Oxidation state

Postby Jeril Joseph 1B » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:46 am

So, on 9C.1 part a, I don't get how to find the change in ligands. So, I know to find the oxidation number of a metal, you use the equation (# of metals)(oxidation # of metal) + [sum of (number of ligands)(change in ligands)]= ion charge. With the hexacyanoferrate (II) ion, (Fe(CN)6)4-, I know there's one metal and the oxidation would be x as well as there being 6 ligands with a -4 charge, but how do you find the change in ligands?

Jeril Joseph 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Oxidation state

Postby Jeril Joseph 1B » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 am

Jeril Joseph 1B wrote:So, on 9C.1 part a, I don't get how to find the change in ligands. So, I know to find the oxidation number of a metal, you use the equation (# of metals)(oxidation # of metal) + [sum of (number of ligands)(change in ligands)]= ion charge. With the hexacyanoferrate (II) ion, (Fe(CN)6)4-, I know there's one metal and the oxidation would be x as well as there being 6 ligands with a -4 charge, but how do you find the change in ligands?

Oh, wait. Nevermind, I realized that the equation has the charge of ligands, not the change.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”