Naming

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

xenamclean_1G

Naming

Postby xenamclean_1G » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Can someone explain the steps in naming in a clearer way then how he did it in class? I'm just confused as to what you name first and which has the roman numeral, etc.

Rebecca Epner 4A

Re: Naming

Postby Rebecca Epner 4A » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 pm

The first thing to remember is that all the ligands are written in alphabetical order, followed by the name of the transition metal cation, and then the Roman numeral which is the oxidation number of the metal. I start by looking at the ligand, determining the Greek prefix and name. For example, in [Co(NH3)6]3+ (NH3)6 is hexaammine. Then look at Co. The name become hexaammine cobalt. And then calculate the oxidation number of the metal to be 2. Hence, hexaammine cobalt (II)

Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:38 pm

The whole process he explained for naming is in the text book under Tool box 9C.1 page 723. I suggest you take notes how have it as reference. Underneath should be examples of how to name. Essentially,
1) Ligands named first in alphabetical order (ignoring any greek prefixes)
- some neutral ligands have different names so be careful on naming, it is stated in the tool box which ones
- ligands with negative charges end in -o
-greek prefixes are added to the ligand names depending on how many ligands of the same time there are
-if it already has a greek prefix in the ligand name there is a different naming scheme you have to use
2) Name metal atom/ion - roman numeral in parentheses denotes the oxidation number of central atom
- if the complex has overall negative charge you have to add suffix -ate at the stem of metal name
-be careful with the names because while we know Fe is iron you have to use the latin name which is Ferrum
3) Finally the coordination compound is built the same way as a simple compound so the cation is named before the anion.

Again - if you are having trouble. I really recommend you reading through that part of the book to get a better understanding. It has all the info you need and really you just need the table for the naming.

Caroline Zepecki

Postby Caroline Zepecki » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:27 am

are the metals always named last then even if they're names are later in the alphabet?

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”