Summary for Naming Coordination Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tiffany Chao 2H

Summary for Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Tiffany Chao 2H » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:21 pm

I am extremely confused while reading the notes for naming coordination compounds. Is anyone able to give me a brief summary to help me better understand the rules?

Thanks

Kavee Dodampahala 4E

Re: Summary for Naming Coordination Compounds

Postby Kavee Dodampahala 4E » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:23 pm

The subspecies names should be listed in alphabetical order (not including the prefixes like mono, di, etc). Then add on the prefixes based on how many of one subspecies there are, for example: (CN)3 would be tricyano. Then the metal name should be listed. If the compound has an overall negative charge, add -ate to the metal name, if it has a positive charge, leave the metal name as is. You should also include the oxidation number of the metal at the end, in roman numerals.

Khushboo_3D

Postby Khushboo_3D » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Another important rule to remember is that, If the ligand name already contains prefixes such as di-, tri-, etc. (as in ethylene diamine) or if it is a polydentate then the prefixes bis-, tris-, tetrakis-, pentakis- are used.

Brittany Tran 3I

Postby Brittany Tran 3I » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:46 pm

the ligands are listed first in alphabetical order, and the Greek prefixes (di-, tri-, tetra-, penta-) before the ligands are based on how many ligands there are. then you list the name of the metal with the oxidation state in parentheses. if the charge of the complex is negative overall, then you add -ate to the name of the metal ion. if the ligands already have a prefix, you use prefixes bis-, tris-, etc

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”