Metal Oxidation Number

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B

Metal Oxidation Number

Postby Rohan Kubba Dis 4B » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Is there a quick formula or trick that can give me the oxidation state of a metal in a a coordination compound?

ishaa Diwakar 4E

Re: Metal Oxidation Number

Postby ishaa Diwakar 4E » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 pm

Not really, but if you can remember the common oxidation states for the main transition metals, it can help you narrow down the options. Along with this, if you can recognize which ligands are neutral and memorize the charges of other common ligands, it will be easier to figure out the metal's oxidation number.

Ashley Kim 3F

Postby Ashley Kim 3F » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:52 pm

Main group elements have pretty consistent oxidation numbers, so they can be easily memorized. As for transition metals, I think that the best option would be to practice and memorize the oxidation numbers of the most common ones.

Nicholas_Gladkov_2J

Postby Nicholas_Gladkov_2J » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 pm

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B wrote:Is there a quick formula or trick that can give me the oxidation state of a metal in a a coordination compound?

I think that the best way to figure out the oxidation number of a metal is just to look at the given equation and subtract the charges of the ligands from the total net charge until you only have the TM left. I don't think there are any shortcuts, but I could be wrong. Judging from the textbook questions, there are some TM that have the same oxidation number for many problems (Co, for example with +3), but you should still check with the net charges and the charges of the ligands as such oxidation numbers can change.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”