Difference between chelating ligand and polydentate ligand

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah Lee 2F

Difference between chelating ligand and polydentate ligand

Postby Hannah Lee 2F » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Are all complexes with a polydentate ligand examples of chelation?

Are all complexes that include a polydentate ligand considered chelating complexes? Is any ligand that is not monodentate an example of chelation, or is it restricted to complexes with a large coordination number, like EDTA?

Similarly, is a polydentate ligand essentially the same thing as chelating ligand, or are there differences?
Last edited by Hannah Lee 2F on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NRobbins_1K

Re: Difference between chelating complex and polydentate ligand

Postby NRobbins_1K » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:38 pm

As far as I can tell from doing a bit of research, polydentate is always synonymous with chelating and monodentate with nonchelating. Reading through this page led me to that conclusion.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... _Chemistry)/Coordination_Chemistry/Structure_and_Nomenclature_of_Coordination_Compounds/Ligands#Polydentate_Ligands

Kristina Rizo 2K

Re: Difference between chelating complex and polydentate ligand

Postby Kristina Rizo 2K » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23 am

NRobbins_1K wrote:As far as I can tell from doing a bit of research, polydentate is always synonymous with chelating and monodentate with nonchelating. Reading through this page led me to that conclusion.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... _Chemistry)/Coordination_Chemistry/Structure_and_Nomenclature_of_Coordination_Compounds/Ligands#Polydentate_Ligands

hey i was wondering if you could retype the link? I copy and pasted the whole URL but it said page was not found.

Abigail Sanders 1E

Re: Difference between chelating ligand and polydentate ligand

Postby Abigail Sanders 1E » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am

I believe that polydentate means that a ligand can bind to multiple molecules at different locations. Simply stated, polydentate describes the number of available bonding sites on a ligand. If a ligans is chelating, this means that it forms a type of ring structure than can bond to the same central atom more than once. This is portrayed in the Heme complex of Iron and the porphyrin ligand that Dr. Lavelle explained in class.

NRobbins_1K

Re: Difference between chelating ligand and polydentate ligand

Postby NRobbins_1K » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:22 pm

sorry if its too late

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... _Chemistry)/
Coordination_Chemistry/Structure_and_Nomenclature_of_Coordination_Compounds/Ligands

hopefully that works

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”