Chelating Ligands and Coordination Numbers

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mariah

Chelating Ligands and Coordination Numbers

Postby Mariah » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Would our coordination number be raised by just counting the chelating ligand, or how many times it is chelated to the metal?

Indy Bui 1l

Re: Chelating Ligands and Coordination Numbers

Postby Indy Bui 1l » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:58 pm

I don't think it would necessarily be raised, but if a molecule chelates then less of that molecule is needed to bond to the metal. So there would just be less ligands needed in the coordinating complex. The coordinate number doesn't increase but there are less ligands, so the charge on the metal seems to have a greater impact on the total complex.

karinaseth_1A

Postby karinaseth_1A » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Hung Indy Bui 3H wrote:I don't think it would necessarily be raised, but if a molecule chelates then less of that molecule is needed to bond to the metal. So there would just be less ligands needed in the coordinating complex. The coordinate number doesn't increase but there are less ligands, so the charge on the metal seems to have a greater impact on the total complex.

So does the coordination number depend on the number of binding sites or the number of actual ligands bound to the metal? For example, if one EDTA molecule was bound to a metal, would the coordination number be 1 or 6?

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:28 pm

karinaseth_1A wrote:
Hung Indy Bui 3H wrote:I don't think it would necessarily be raised, but if a molecule chelates then less of that molecule is needed to bond to the metal. So there would just be less ligands needed in the coordinating complex. The coordinate number doesn't increase but there are less ligands, so the charge on the metal seems to have a greater impact on the total complex.

So does the coordination number depend on the number of binding sites or the number of actual ligands bound to the metal? For example, if one EDTA molecule was bound to a metal, would the coordination number be 1 or 6?

Hi,

Coordination number depends on the number of bonds on the central transition metal. Thus, the coordination number of the complex with the EDTA molecule and metal would be 6.

Indy Bui 1l

Postby Indy Bui 1l » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Yeah it would be six. I think I was a bit confused earlier when I was typing my answer. Sorry!

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”