Chelate vs Polydentate

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JChen_2I

Chelate vs Polydentate

Postby JChen_2I » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:40 pm

How do you define chelate and polydentate and how are they different?

Sanjana Munagala_1j
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Chelate vs Polydentate

Postby Sanjana Munagala_1j » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 pm

Polydentate is when a single ligand has multiple sites where it can bind to a metal cation. Chelate refers to the whole complex which contains a ligand that forms a ring of atoms that include the central metal atom. When talking about the chelating ligand, it essentially is a polydentate ligand that forms a ring with the metal cation.

Hope that helps!

Sarah Zhari 1D

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:46 pm

Chelates form a ring around the central atom, whereas polydentate ligands allow more than one of its binding sites to be occupied. I think that a polydentate ligand can be a chelate, but they are not necessarily a chelate.

AngieGarcia_4F

Postby AngieGarcia_4F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:06 am

Sarah Zhari 1C wrote:Chelates form a ring around the central atom, whereas polydentate ligands allow more than one of its binding sites to be occupied. I think that a polydentate ligand can be a chelate, but they are not necessarily a chelate.

In the review session i'm pretty sure Matthew said all polydentate ligands chelate.

JChen_2I

Postby JChen_2I » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:12 am

AngieGarcia_4F wrote:
Sarah Zhari 1C wrote:Chelates form a ring around the central atom, whereas polydentate ligands allow more than one of its binding sites to be occupied. I think that a polydentate ligand can be a chelate, but they are not necessarily a chelate.

In the review session i'm pretty sure Matthew said all polydentate ligands chelate.

But all chelates have to be polydentate too right?

AngieGarcia_4F

Postby AngieGarcia_4F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:13 am

JChen_3C wrote:
AngieGarcia_4F wrote:

But all chelates have to be polydentate too right?

Yeah I believe so

Sarah Zhari 1D

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:37 am

AngieGarcia_4F wrote:

I must have missed that. Thanks!

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”