Memorizing the name of complex ligands

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Scot Widjaja Dis 1J

Memorizing the name of complex ligands

Postby Scot Widjaja Dis 1J » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:10 am

What would be some of the other complex ligand names that we would have to memorize in addition to ligands such as Ethylenediamine? Would they give us a chart during the final exam about the names and formulas of the ligands that we haven't studied before in the past?

Can Yilgor 2D

Re: Memorizing the name of complex ligands

Postby Can Yilgor 2D » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:55 am

I am not sure whether they would give us a chart for the final exam or not. I believe we will mostly encounter ligands that we have seen in lectures or discussion sections. Please see the link below in case you would like to learn more about some common ligands. Hope this helps.

https://sites.google.com/site/chempendix/ligands

Emily Ding 1J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Emily Ding 1J » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 am

I think en, dien, and edta are the only complex ones required for us to memorize. The naming coordinate compounds pdf on Lavelle's website provides a full list which is really helpful even for simpler ligands like oxalate or carbonate.

Sophia Stewart 3F

Postby Sophia Stewart 3F » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:09 am

My TA thought we'd possible get a chart, but wasn't sure. I asked in a separate post, so hopefully Dr. Lavelle will address that.

StephanieIb

Postby StephanieIb » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:03 am

I don't think we will be a given a chart, but so far I've gone by the chart Lavelle posted on his website.
https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-content/supporting-files/Chem14A/NamingCoordinationCompounds.pdf

abby hyman

Postby abby hyman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:03 am

Hi I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how you would go about naming [Co (NH3)3Cl3]
I thought it would be triamminetrichlorocobalt(II)

Emma Chang 1G

Postby Emma Chang 1G » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:27 pm

abby hyman wrote:Hi I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how you would go about naming [Co (NH3)3Cl3]
I thought it would be triamminetrichlorocobalt(II)

I think Dr. Lavelle addressed something similar to this in a post from a few years ago. In that example, the overall charge of the complex was -1, since Cl3 provides a charge of -3 and Co provides a charge of +2. When a complex has an overall negative charge, you add -ate to the metal’s name. So I think the name of it would be triamminetrichlorocobaltate (II) ion. Hope this helps!

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”