Coordination Number

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Karina Rodriguez 2H

Coordination Number

Postby Karina Rodriguez 2H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Can anyone explain what a coordination number is and what it is important for figuring out?

Rich Luong 1D

Re: Coordination Number

Postby Rich Luong 1D » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:54 pm

In a coordination compound, the coordination number is the number of bonds attached to the central metal atom. It's important to know the number to help us determine the shape of the overall coordination compound. For example, if a coordination compound has a coordination number of 6, we can predict it to be a octahedral complex. I hope this helps!

Armen_Isayan_2L

Postby Armen_Isayan_2L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:56 pm

Hello! A coordination number is described by the number of atoms or ions that the central atom is bonded to. It is important to figure out because it allows to determine the name of the coordination complex.

Danielle Goldwirth 3F

Postby Danielle Goldwirth 3F » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:56 pm

From our textbook:

"Each ligand in a complex typically has at least one lone pair of electrons with which it bonds to the central atom or ion by forming a coordinate covalent bond. The ligands are said to coordinate to the metal when they form the complex in this way. These ligands make up the coordination sphere of the central ion. The number of points at which ligands are attached to the central metal atom is called the coordination number of the complex (FIG. 9C.1). The coordination number is 4 in Ni ( CO ) 4 and 6 in [ Fe ( CN ) 6 ] 4 − ."

Basically, the coordination number is the number of coordinate covalent bonds attached to the central atom.

Nathan Lao 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nathan Lao 2I » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Coordination number is essentially the number of bonding sites that a TM will form with ligands. It's important to know the denticity of the ligands since they will affect the coordination number. For example, a bidentate ligand counts as 2 bonds, a tridentate ligand forms 3, and so on.
I'm not completely sure but I think this is important for determining/identifying the name and structure of the coordination compound.

Justin Zhang_1A

Postby Justin Zhang_1A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:59 pm

The coordination number is the number of bonds that are attached to the central metal atom in a complex, and it's important to know this because it helps us to figure out the name and shape of the coordination complex.

Griffin G

Postby Griffin G » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:16 pm

A coordination number is basically the amount of bonds the metal ion has with ligands.

Brandon McClelland3L

Postby Brandon McClelland3L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:32 pm

The coordination number is the number of atoms the central atom is bonded to. It is important to know in order to know what kind of coordination complex there is.

Catie Donohue 2K

Postby Catie Donohue 2K » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Nathan Lao 2B wrote:Coordination number is essentially the number of bonding sites that a TM will form with ligands. It's important to know the denticity of the ligands since they will affect the coordination number. For example, a bidentate ligand counts as 2 bonds, a tridentate ligand forms 3, and so on.
I'm not completely sure but I think this is important for determining/identifying the name and structure of the coordination compound.

Is there a way we can know if a ligand has more than one bond or will it usually be given to us in the problem?

Diana Aguilar 3H

Postby Diana Aguilar 3H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:04 pm

The coordination number is the number of atoms the central atom is bonded to. I believe it is important to know because it allows us to find the name and shape of the coordination complex.

Eve Gross-Sable 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Eve Gross-Sable 1B » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:17 pm

The coordination number is equal to how many atoms the central atom is bonded to. You use it to determine the name of the coordination complex

Alex Benson

Postby Alex Benson » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi! One of the reasons that the Coordination Number is importance is because it is related to the shape of the molecule.

joshtully

Postby joshtully » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:32 pm

The coordination number of a metal ion is the number of bonds it has with ligands.

Susanna Givan 2B

Postby Susanna Givan 2B » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:53 pm

The number helps us determine the shape of the structure, correct?

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”