Chelating ligands

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lusin_Yengibaryan_3B

Chelating ligands

Postby Lusin_Yengibaryan_3B » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:00 am

I'm still so confused about chelating ligands? How extensively will they be covered on the final? What do they even mean? I'm so confused because I understand the definition but I don't understand the relevance.

Hannah_Kim_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Chelating ligands

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:10 am

A chelating ligand is a ligand that is able to bond to more than one site on the central metal by bending its bonds around to reach another bonding site. For it to be a chelating ligand, it needs to have a lone pair and flexible bonds (i.e. single bonds).

I think the relevance is that if a ligand is able to form a chelate, then it is able to bond more tightly around that central metal. The thing Lavelle talked about during lecture was how chelating ligands can be used to remove harmful metals in water since they are able to tightly bind to the metals, thus removing them from the water effectively.

As for the extent to which this will be on the final, I don't think it would be too extensive since we didn't spend that much time on it compared to other sections.

Arya Adibi 1K

Postby Arya Adibi 1K » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:25 am

A chelating ligand is one that can bind at multiple sites. These bind to the cation tightly and stabilize the structure. An example would be:

central Co atom binded to two NH2-CH2-CH2-NH2 chains which forms a ring of atoms around the central Co atom

Gerardo Ortega 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Gerardo Ortega 2F » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:29 am

I think in general outline 5 topics will not be covered extensively on the final because we did not spend much time on those topics.

Nancy Yao

Postby Nancy Yao » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:36 am

I completely ignored this part in the lecture, thank you for posting this!

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”