Structure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vanessa_Ong_3F

Structure

Postby Vanessa_Ong_3F » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Can someone help explain what is the best way for me to go about determining molecular structure?

Allison Peng 1D

Re: Structure

Postby Allison Peng 1D » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:54 am

Molecular structure in a coordinate compound (which I believe is what you are asking about) is determined by the number of coordinate ligands bonded to it. A central atom with 6 ligands will have the octahedral shape, similar to what we have discussed before. A central atom with 4 ligands will be either tetrahedral or square planar (it is difficult to determine which of the two, so we can just leave it at that). I'm not sure if one with 5 ligands would be square pyramidal or trigonal bipyramidal, but it was not discussed in class, so just know the three shapes above.

Cindy Vo 3E

Postby Cindy Vo 3E » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 am

A coordination number of 6 would be octahedral. A coordination number of 4 would be tetrahedral or square planar. These are the main three we have to know.

Hannah_Pon_1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hannah_Pon_1F » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am

Similarily to the way that we name the shape of molecules, to name the shape of coordination complexes, you need to consider the number of ligands and how these would arrange due to electron repulsion. The most common are octahedral (6 ligands) and square planar and tetrahedral (4 ligands)

amara ajon 1d

Postby amara ajon 1d » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:12 am

Hi,
To determine the structure of a coordination compound, we take a look at the number of coordination bonds around the central molecule. For this class, I'm pretty sure Prof. Lavelle said that we would only really need to know the shape of molecules with coordination number 4 (where the shape is either tetrahedral or square planar) or 6 (where the shape is octahedral).

Jessica Sun 2I

Postby Jessica Sun 2I » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:38 am

To figure out the molecular structure, you would have to figure out the number of ligands bonded to the central atom, otherwise known as the coordination number. If there are 6 ligands bonded to the central atom then the structure is octahedral. If there are 4 ligands bonded to the central atom, then the structure is either square planar or tetrahedral.

Janys Li - 1L

Postby Janys Li - 1L » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:46 am

Hi,

To find the molecular geometry around an atom, you would look at the number of regions of electron density and the number of atoms attached to it. You can look up a chart and find the corresponding molecular structure.

Kaitlyn Bateman 1L

Postby Kaitlyn Bateman 1L » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:01 pm

Hi! I have a question branching off of this, if a ligand is polydentate, does this change the structure? I know it changes the coordination number, but I don't think it changes the electron density.

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”