complex of aqueous state of metal ion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Somin Lee

complex of aqueous state of metal ion

Postby Somin Lee » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 pm

In the lecture, Prof. Lavelle gave example of NiCl2 as aqueous state. and it was Ni in the central atom, four water molecules in horizontal square planar, and two Cl atom vertically attached to Ni.
To draw the lone pair electrons of water here, will each water molecule still have one pair of remaining lone pair electrons?

chemoyku dis 1B

Re: complex of aqueous state of metal ion

Postby chemoyku dis 1B » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:15 pm

Somin Lee wrote:In the lecture, Prof. Lavelle gave example of NiCl2 as aqueous state. and it was Ni in the central atom, four water molecules in horizontal square planar, and two Cl atom vertically attached to Ni.
To draw the lone pair electrons of water here, will each water molecule still have one pair of remaining lone pair electrons?

Hi!

Yes, you're right. Since water is not a bidentate ligand but still has two pairs of e-, one of the lone pairs would bind with the central metal ion and one of the lone pairs will remain on the oxygen.

I hope this clarifies :)

Jamie Park 2F

Re: complex of aqueous state of metal ion

Postby Jamie Park 2F » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:18 pm

Hi, I am not totally sure but I think the diagram shown in the lecture had water molecules bonded to NiCl2 without the lone pairs for the simplicity of the drawing. I hope this helps!

Return to “Shape, Structure, Coordination Number, Ligands”