Cr - insulin Example

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B

Cr - insulin Example

Postby Aaron Akhavan-Dis1B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Dr. Lavelle stated that Chromium assists insulin in the control of blood sugar. Is Chromium regulated in the same way that Insulin is in the negative feedback cycle? When blood sugar goes down and the insulin is no longer needed where does the Chromium go?

Nane Onanyan 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Cr - insulin Example

Postby Nane Onanyan 1G » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 pm

I had to look at my old highschool notes for this but here is what I concurred:
Chromium is a cofactor, a substance that aids in enzyme activity. Organic cofactors are ones we know very well, vitamins. Other cofactors are also group1+2 and transition metals. There are few ways that our body regulates enzymes: genetic control, covalent modification, and allosteric regulation. I believe the regulation of enzymes also has a direct result on the regulation of Chromium. When our body regulates enzyme activation, excess chromium is excreted from our body just like any other cofactor: urine. When we drink too much Vitamin C, our body excretes it through urine. Same for chromium.

Katherine_Douglas_1F

Re: Cr - insulin Example

Postby Katherine_Douglas_1F » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:01 am

Expanding a bit on Chromium and its role as a cofactor, Chromium is needed in order to activate certain enzymes in the body associated with insulin. The role of a cofactor is to bind to the enzyme and change the shape enough to allow the enzyme to function. Enzymes are proteins and the big thing about proteins is that structure determines function. Unless the enzyme is the specific shape it needs to be to carry out its function, it will not be able to. The role of a cofactor like Chromium is to bind to the enzyme, changing its shape from the deactivated state to the way it needs to be for the enzyme to bind to whatever it needs to and carry out its function.

Return to “Biological Examples”