Ligands  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmine Botello 2F

Ligands

Postby Jasmine Botello 2F » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Is it necessary to memorize the charges of the ligands?

RuchaDeshpande1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Ligands

Postby RuchaDeshpande1L » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 pm

On Dr. Lavelle's Chem 14A website, there is a link labeled "Naming Coordination Compounds". This document contains common neutral and anionic ligands used in coordination compounds. The charges are listed as well. I think it would be best to familiarize yourself with these ions as they do occur in homework problems (and probably the tests) often.

Pooja Nair 1C

Re: Ligands

Postby Pooja Nair 1C » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:44 am

I think it's a good idea to memorize the ligands and their charges, because if you are asked you to find the oxidation number of the transition metal as we were sometimes asked in the homework problems, you need to know the charges of the ligands so that you can find the oxidation number that would make the coordination compound neutral/have the correct total charge.

Diane Bui 2J

Re: Ligands  [ENDORSED]

Postby Diane Bui 2J » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 am

I think it's definitely helpful to memorize at least the common ligands and their charges because, like stated above, it is used to find the oxidation number of the transition metal, and it's also beneficial to work through the problem faster. I'm sure we will be seeing these ligands again in Chem 14B, so we should just get a head start and memorize the common ones :)

Return to “Biological Examples”