myoglobin and hemoglobin

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

dtolentino1E

myoglobin and hemoglobin

Postby dtolentino1E » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:31 am

what should we know about myoglobin and hemoglobin? Dr. Lavelle went through a lot of information about these two molecules, but i'm unsure of what parts are important for the final

ahuang
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: myoglobin and hemoglobin

Postby ahuang » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 am

I think it's first important to know that both transport O2 but myoglobin transports O2 in muscle cells and hemoglobin does so in blood. Also, Fe bound to porphyrin ligand makes up a heme complex and a heme complex bound to a protein makes up the myoglobin. Hemoglobin has 4 myoglobin like molecules, so they bind to 4 O2's.

Shutong Hou_1F

Postby Shutong Hou_1F » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:40 am

Exactly, and also remember that whether the oxygen is absorbed or de-absorbed depends on the local partial pressure of oxygen. In addition, the reason why transition metals locate as the central atom is that TM 1) have many oxidation states --> good for electron transfer 2) often bound to a cage-like molecule.

Matt F

Postby Matt F » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Knowing the biological function of both is important to understanding their purpose, but since this is a chem class I think knowing their structures and the roles of coordination compounds is more significant

Return to “Biological Examples”